Date:      Thu, 01 Jan 1998 14:52:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        FreeBSD Hacker <freebsd@core.acroal.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>, Adam Turoff <AdamT@smginc.com>
Subject:   RE: Informix on FreeBSD (maybe) (fwd)

On 01-Jan-98 FreeBSD Hacker wrote:

> Can someone explain to me what would be involved in implementing a
> database engine specifically for FreeBSD.  How much work likely, if you
> were to work from scratch, and what kind of support would you want to
> offer for other platforms (i.e. Windoze).  If it were specifically Tuned
> to be a high performance solution on a FreeBSD box and part of the
> Distribution, couldn't that just possibly attract the kind of High End
> contributions that FreeBSD needs?
>
> In essence if you were to clone a commercial database system which one
> would it be?

IMJO, enormous amount of work.  In my work, we just add some clearly
defined subsystems to an existing product and it represents several
engineering years of effort.  There is really no need to do all that, I
think;  There is a pretty good engine out there that is lacking in specific
areas which we are already addressing.  There may be others.  Were there
enough interest in our work, we could generalize it so other RDBMS engines
could enjoy the benefits too.  Doing the reverse is very tricky;  O/S
specific changes are inherently non-portable (TerrY?).  But we are trying
to be as clean as we can.

Sincerely Yours,

Simon Shapiro
Shimon@Simon-Shapiro.ORG                      Voice:   503.799.2313