Date:      Fri, 30 Oct 1998 19:09:02 +1100
From:      "Hallam Oaks" <mlnn4@oaks.com.au>
To:        "hackers@FreeBSD.ORG" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Fibre channel

Hi,

I'm now going to demonstrate my total ignorance of fibre channel ;)

Who here can tell me what we need to set up a working fibre channel hard
drive system, apart from the controller and drive ? I'm not referring
specifically to FC on FreeBSD per se, but the actual hardware.

I know I'd (obviously) need some fibre optic cable, but I'm unsure if you
also need an external optical transciever. That is, I'm unsure if these are
built into the FC hardware, or if the FC devices connect to the transcievers
via some sort of standard electrical - rather than optical - interface.

If so, does anyone know how much these transcievers tend to cost (low power
type) ? What else is needed to have a working system ? (apart from the driver
software that is ... at the moment I'm only concerned about hardware.)

regards,

-- Chris