Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 1996 18:53:57 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Michael Beckmann <petzi@zit.th-darmstadt.de>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org

Hello,

I have an old Linux system (an old Slackware probably), with Kernel 1.3.32
. The system was installed about two years ago, and has become somewhat
unstable recently, so I would like to upgrade it to FreeBSD 2.1.5 or
-current. My only concern is that I cannot keep the /etc/passwd file. The
system has a couple dozen users, and I don't want to notify them of the
password change. So does anybody know if I can import the Linux password
file to FreeBSD ? I don't know which encryption it has, and whether that
can be used by FreeBSD.
I'd really prefer FreeBSD over linux for the upgrade, but if the password
file cannot be used, it will remain a Linux machine.

Thanks for your help,

Michael