Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 2003 20:07:00 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
To:        Soeren Schmidt <sos@spider.deepcore.dk>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Promise TX4000 MFC request

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, Soeren Schmidt wrote:

SS> > > Add support for the Promise SATA150 TX2/TX4 and the Promise TX4000

[snip]

SS> > Will these changes (in particular for TX4000, as we just got such a card) be
SS> > MFCed in near future? I would be glad to test new driver ;-)
SS>
SS> I have no immediate plans to backport the ATA driver..
SS>
SS> The reasons are several:
SS>
SS> The support for the newer Promise chips needs several not so trival
SS> changes to the ATA driver (in fact the -current driver would need to
SS> be backported for this to make sense).
SS>
SS> The releng team might not be pleased with this, since a totally new
SS> backport of a -current driver is not exactly was -stable is about.
SS> (mind you the ATA driver is a pretty important peice of FreeBSD).
SS>
SS> I dont have the spare time that this would take, maybe just maybe
SS> some of our sponsors will pay me working hours to do it, but the
SS> above issue with the "spirit" of -stable is still there..

Yes, I have a brief look at the change you've made in the beginning of May, and
they seem fairly huge. Unfortunately I'm not (even juniour ;) kernel hacker,
and the process of backporting Promise ata_promise_mio_* frightens me a bit.
;-)

So, what would be your advice to use this card (I just built machine with 6 IDE
discs, and hope to connect each drive to its own ata channel, so TX4000 seems
the best choice) for daily (backups and builds server) use? 5.1?

Sincerely,
*** Dmitry Morozovsky --- D.Marck --- Wild Woozle --- marck@rinet.ru ***