Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 1996 12:23:46 GMT
From:      nnd@itfs.nsk.su (Nickolay N. Dudorov)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ip-in-ip tunnel

Dirk Froemberg (dirk@methan.chemie.fu-berlin.de) wrote:
> Hello!
>
> We need to set up a ip-in-ip (protocol number 4) tunnel with FreeBSD
> (i. e. tunnel entry should be on a FreeBSD machine).
>
> Unfortunaly there seems to be no easy way of doing so.
>
> mrouting has the functionality of tunneling being limited on multicast
> addresses. Although this limitation may easily be removed there
> is no way of adding routes manually (e. g. route add).
>
> Another approach might be to create a interface doing the encapsulation.
> The implementation of the ip-in-ip-encapsulation itself is not very
> difficult. At the moment we are a stucked "a little bit" in the
> BSD-networking-code.
>
> Btw. Linux has such interface called "tunl".
>
> Is anyone working on this?

	I've send 'a problem report' with send-pr with
example of program which configure tunN device as a point-to-point
interface between this host and target one. It uses ip-over-ip
encapsulation (protocol 94) - the same which is used by CISCO-routers
(among others, they named it NOS-encapsulation) and (may be) Linux.

	N. Dudorov