Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 2002 15:45:14 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au>
Cc:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>, mit@dreamlabs.com, freebsd-hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: automatic URL refreshing to local country mirror

--FeAIMMcddNRN4P4/

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 11:35:43PM +1000, jason andrade wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Dan Langille wrote:
>=20
> > My guess: IP address.  If you know the IP address, you can figure out
> > what country it "belongs".  This information is avaialable via
> > "whois".
>=20
> Simon Horman (Horms) gave a paper on doing this at LCA 2001.  It was quite
> interesting.  "Globally Distributed Content".  He's a smart guy :-)
>=20
>=20
> If we go down this track it might make sense to apply it to www.freebsd.o=
rg
> but i don't think it'd want to be deployed on every mirror site as that t=
akes
> away the user choice to select a mirror and use it (if that mirror is then
> going to transparently redirect..).

And I even wonder about www.FreeBSD.org itself; sometimes one may *want*
to use the master server, e.g. for CVSweb access.  Of course, this is
easily solved by adding a DNS alias named www.us.FreeBSD.org or
something like that, and only redirecting requests targeted at
www.FreeBSD.org, so we can still use http://www.us.FreeBSD.org/ if we so
desire.

G'luck,
Peter

--=20
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net	roam@FreeBSD.org
No language can express every thought unambiguously, least of all this one.

--FeAIMMcddNRN4P4/

--FeAIMMcddNRN4P4/--