Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 17:37:26 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Here is what IBM thinks about using FreeBSD on their newer

Terry Lambert writes:
[...]
> There is a difference between tools dependencies and product
> dependencies.  The InterJet is a closed box, and does not
> ship with a ful developement environment.
>
> The way IBM "handled it" was to do due dilligence on all the
> code that shipped on the InterJet, and with one procedural
> snag, vetted it for shipment.
>
> The actual thing that gave them the most trouble was PHK's
> "BeerWare" license, which they finally decided didn't really
> constitute an obligation, since they could just decide to
> not like the code or find it useful.

I read most everything Terry Lambert posts to the FreeBSD lists for his
high S/N ratio and for the laughs I get from stuff like the above.  :-)

Can you imagine trying to explain to an IBM executive that if he/she
were to meet PHK they were obliged to buy him a beer? And that it
wouldn't go under "entertainment expense account" but under "royalty
payments"? Its sure to add an entire viewgraph to the annual Ethics
Training. Complete with a picture of PHK so they would know him when
they meet him and not be tricked into buying beers for impostors.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net