Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 1996 16:07:39 +0200
From:      Marc van Kempen <marc@bowtie.nl>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Netscape and socks5

Hi,

Has anyone successfully used netscape 3.0b6 with socks5 (0.16.6)?
(This is the BSDI executable)

I'm trying to run it through our firewall here, with proxies there
are no problems, but with socks5 it gives an error about no
route to host.

What's more, when I specify the name of the socks-server instead
of it's IP address I get an error about the name not having a
DNS entry, but it's in my /etc/hosts file!

I have host.conf configured for hosts file first and then bind.

When I try this from a sgi or an nt server in the same network
it works ok.

I vaguely remember about problems with hostname resolving with
the bsdi netscape, but I'm not sure.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Regards,
Marc.
Marc van Kempen                 BowTie Technology
Email: marc@bowtie.nl            WWW & Databases
tel. +31 40 2 43 20 65
fax. +31 40 2 44 21 86         http://www.bowtie.nl