Date:      Sun, 30 Jan 2000 10:02:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2940 B channel?

David Greenman <dg@root.com> wrote:
> >I've got a FreeBSD 3.4 system with a 2940U2W and SCSI 3 hard drive
> >attached to the A channel.  This setup runs great until I attach a CDRW
> >drive (YAMAHA CRW4416S) to channel B.   The 2nd device causes it to
> >hang just before the login prompt.
>
>    The 2940U2W is a single channel controller, so there really isn't a "B"
> channel. I think what you must be refering to is the single-ended connector.
> Perhaps the termination isn't set properly on either the controller or the
> drive?

Perhaps this depends on your definition of dual channel.  There is an
"Ultra 2 segment" and a separate "Ultra segment" (see:
http://www.adaptec.com/products/datasheets/specs/aha2940u2w.html )
which map to a single LUN.

I suspect it has something to do with the kernel since the system sees
both devices and boots correctly up to some point just before the login
prompt, when it gets the bus timeout/reset errors.  The kernel seems
straightforward:

   options       SCSI_DELAY=150  #Be pessimistic about Joe SCSI device
   controller    ahc0            # AHA2940 and onboard AIC7xxx devices
   controller    scbus0          # SCSI bus (required)
   device        da0             # Direct Access (disks)
   device        sa0             # Sequential Access (tape etc)
   device        cd0             # CD
   device        pass0           # Passthrough device (direct SCSI)
   device        mcd0    at isa? port 0x300 bio irq 10
   device        matcd0  at isa? port 0x230 bio
   device        scd0    at isa? port 0x230 bio

Adaptec technical support also thinks it's software though they're not
exactly Unix literate.

--
Roger Marquis
Roble Systems Consulting