Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 2002 14:44:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>
To:        Leonard Chung <leonardc@cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MPD PPTP tunneling intermittantly fails

Leonard Chung writes:
> The problem that I'm having is that MPD starts properly and I can
> successfully connect to the service using Windows clients. However, when I
> ping internal hosts, the first five or so work fine, and then beyond that
> packets start getting lost, with a loss rate of around 50%. These tests are
> run over a local network with two subnets, so packet loss shouldn't be a
> problem. So although I can currently connect and create a tunnel, it isn't
> very useful as beyond any initial DNS queries, file transfers, etc. fail
> completely.

Are you using Mac OS X clients? If so, you may need the
latest patch to ng_pptpgre(4) to work around a problem:

  http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/netgraph/ng_pptpgre.c.diff?r1=1.25&r2=1.26

Otherwise, I haven't heard of anyone else having that particular problem..
See if you have errors reported by 'ngctl msg ng0:inet.ppp.link0 getstats'
(replace 'ng0' with the appropriate inteface name).

> Also, is there any way to get DHCP to work with MPD rather than hard wire
> IPs directly into MPD's config files?

Unfortunately not.

> I'm guessing this is probably just something easy that I'm missing. My
> config files and an MPD trace are below.

These look reasonable.

-Archie