Date:      Sun, 19 Jan 2003 17:05:37 -0800
From:      Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to build -current and install to empty slice?

Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:> "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net> writes:

>>The first question is a bit tougher.
>

> Not at all.  Just prepare the slice so that it contains at least an
> 'a' partition (so you can boot from it), mount the fresh partitions in
> the correct places in relation to eachother (e.g. ad0s2a on /mnt,
> ad0s2d on /mnt/var, ad0s2e on /mnt/usr), then install 5.0 on the
> appropriate partitions.  There are a number of ways to do the latter:
>
>  - if you have successfully built a 5.0 world, do an installworld with
>    DESTDIR set to the root of the empty partitions (/mnt in our
>    example).  Then go into the 'etc' directory in your 5.0 source tree
>    and do 'make distribution', again with DESTDIR set to the root of
>    the appropriate partitions.  You will also need to build and
>    install a kernel, and install the first- and second-stage loaders
>    (using disklabel -B); the 4.x loaders should work fine, but you can
>    force disklabel to use the 5.0 loaders:
>
> # disklabel -B -b /mnt/boot/boot1 -s /mnt/boot/boot2 ad0s2

[For reference, I moved the base mountpoint to /5.]

How do tell make to use /5/usr/obj instead of /usr/obj?  Will
MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/5/usr/obj do this?

I have more questons:

Can I force make to ignore /etc/make.conf and /etc/defaults/make.conf and
read another set of config files?  Would it be safe to use
/5/usr/src/etc/defaults/make.conf?

Will DESTDIR=/5 cause the new build tools to install under /5 as well, or do
I need to set something else to avoid having my 4.7p3 build tools clobbered?

So far I have this set of commands:

# cd /5/usr/src && MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/5/usr/obj DESTDIR=/5 make buildworld
# MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/5/usr/obj DESTDIR=/5 make kernel
# MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/5/usr/obj DESTDIR=/5 make installworld
# cd /5/usr/src/etc && DESTDIR=/5 make distribution
# cd /5/usr/src/release/sysinstall && make clean && make all install
# install -o root -g wheel -m 0555 /5/usr/src/etc/MAKEDEV /5/dev/MAKEDEV
# cd /5/dev && ./MAKEDEV all ad4 ad4s2h ad4s3h ad4s4h ums1 vn1 vty16
# disklabel -B -b /mnt/boot/boot1 -s /mnt/boot/boot2 /dev/ad4s3