Date:      Fri, 30 Oct 1998 00:13:48 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   scanf in the kernel?

Just wondering what the general feeling would be about having scanf in
the kernel?  As we move towards more abstract representations of things
(eg. device names), it's becoming more important to be able to parse
strings inside the kernel.

Doing this in hand-rolled code is tedious, error-prone and results in
code that can be hard to read and maintain (as everyone does it their
own way).

If this isn't totally repulsive, I'll roll a somewhat smaller version
of the libc vfscanf for general approval.