Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 1996 14:15:06 -0500 (CDT)
From:      ptroot@uswest.com (Paul T. Root)
To:        /G=David/S=Sandel/DD.ALISA=SANDELD@mhs-emerson.attmail.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tftp and bootp

(redirected into questions...)

In a previous message, /G=David/S=Sandel/DD.ALISA=SANDELD@mhs-emerson.attmail.com said:

> Hi Paul ---
>
> Thanks for the excellent info ....
>
> I copied an existing bootptab file over from another server.
>
> I ran it on FreeBSD and it says it cant find the file when a boot
> request comes in. I assume the group and owner are incorrrect. How do I
> change these and to what ... I am new at this ... give complete info.

Hmm, It looks like from the man page (man bootpd) that you might
need to give the path to the bootptab file in inetd.conf. Try:

bootps  dgram  udp  wait  root  /usr/libexec/bootpd bootpd /etc/bootptab

Permissions of 644 root.wheel should be fine.

Sorry, I don't run bootp on my FBSD boxes, it seems to be a bit different
from Suns. Is the bootptab file referencing files from tftp to load? That's
the other possiblity as to a problem. If that file doesn't exist. But,
I bet it's probably the different inetd.conf entry.

Dave, don't just reply to me. Be sure to keep Cc:ing to questions@freebsd.org.
That way others can help, too.  I don't have all the answers, and I'm not
always available. After all, we are all just users here, there is no
FreeBSD help staff.

Paul.

--
Paul T. Root - USWEST !NTERPRISE Networking Service	ptroot@uswest.com