Date:      Tue, 10 Aug 1999 08:50:52 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@freebsddiary.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: newfs on vinum device fails

On Monday,  9 August 1999 at 18:59:11 +1200, Dan Langille wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm going vinum under 3.2-release.  But I can't newfs the device.
>
> # newfs -v /dev/vinum/test
> newfs: /dev/vinum/test: Input/output error
>
> # vinum list
> Configuration summary
>
> Drives:         2 (4 configured)
> Volumes:        1 (4 configured)
> Plexes:         1 (8 configured)
> Subdisks:       2 (16 configured)
>
> D d1                    State: up       Device /dev/da1e        Avail: 0/1001 MB (0%)
> D d2                    State: up       Device /dev/da2e        Avail: 0/1005 MB (0%)
>
> V test                  State: down     Plexes:       1 Size:       2006 MB

If your volume is down, you can't access it.  'list -v' will give you
more information.

On Monday,  9 August 1999 at 19:45:44 +1200, Dan Langille wrote:
> On 9 Aug 99, at 18:59, Dan Langille wrote:
>
>> I'm going vinum under 3.2-release.  But I can't newfs the device.
>>
>> # newfs -v /dev/vinum/test
>> newfs: /dev/vinum/test: Input/output error
>
> Problem solved.  I changed from:
>  plex org striped 256k
>   sd length 1001m drive d1
>   sd length 1005m drive d2
>  plex org striped 256k
>   sd length 1001m drive d1
>   sd length 1001m drive d2

If you want to use all the drive, and the disks are all the same size,
you can use 'length 0' for the subdisks.

> With striping, I guess there is no way to use all of both disks.
> But it makes sense.

With Vinum, there is no way to use all of the disks.  It stores
configuration information in the first 265 sectors.  This is described
in the man page.

Greg