Date:      Thu, 24 Jun 2004 13:51:50 GMT
From:      "J. \"MUFTI\" Scheurich" <scheurich@rus.uni-stuttgart.de>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   kern/68277: Compact Evo N610c (Laptop): Using external PS/2 keyboard freeze both keyboards

>Number:         68277
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       Compact Evo N610c (Laptop): Using external PS/2 keyboard freeze both keyboards
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
FreeBSD xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 5.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE #0: Thu Jun  5 02:55:42 GMT 2003     root@wv1u.btc.adaptec.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

The compaq Evo N610c Laptop computer has a external PS/2 connector to
attach a PS/2 keyboard.
A external PS/2 keyboard with this connector can be successfully used under Linux 2.4.
After booting FreeBSD, neither the external keyboard nor the normal
laptop keyboard is useable. In the menu with the ascii art with the
freebsd logo the keyboards are still usable.
Disconnecting the external keyboard do not help after booting.
Booting without the external keyboard and connecting the external
keyboard later at the (something like getty) login prompt do work
with boths keyboards.

Possibly relevant messages from dmesg when NOT booting with a external
keyboard (when booting with a external keyboard, i can not type
anymore).

atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> at port 0x64,0x60 on isa0
atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> flags 0x1 irq 1 on atkbdc0
kbd0 at atkbd0
psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
psm0: model Generic PS/2 mouse, device ID 0

I am rather sure, the found PS/2 mouse is the internal touchpad in front of the internal
laptop keyboard (which is working in X11 when booting without a external
keyboard).
>How-To-Repeat:
Attach a external keyboard on the compaq evo N610c hardware, boot FreeBSD
and then try to type something at the login prompt.