Date:      Sun, 18 Apr 2004 14:10:25 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Julien Gabel" <jpeg@thilelli.net>
To:        chad@shire.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [SOLVED] Can't *write* to a hard disk, not even a slice using fdisk(8).

>>> do you  have your securelevel set in rc.conf to YES and to a higher
>>> level (like 3)?

>> Yes, this machine had a securevel positionned: it set to '2'. But
>> because I can't touch the disk even in Single User Mode, I don't
>> think it is related, but...
>>
>> What is your idea?

> Ok.  I had missed the earlier parts.  I had a problem recently where a
> new disk was not "touchable" at all and it was related to the
> securelevel being at 3...
>
> Was just a thought.

I don't know if you follow the current@ list too, but I sovled my problem:
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-current/2004-April/\
025943.html

I can note that if I said that "I can't touch the disk even in Single User
Mode"... that was right, but just because I went to single-user mode from
multi-user mode, so the kern.securelevel was always to '2' (which is very
different to boot directly to single-user mode)! Sorry for the mistake and
thanks for your reply which appeared to be the right point here.

--
-jpeg.