Date:      Sat, 11 Nov 1995 01:47:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      Brian Litzinger <brian@MediaCity.com>
To:        fkr@tooyoo1.l.u-tokyo.ac.jp (FUKUI Rei)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [951104-SNAP] can't NFS, please help!

> Hello.
>
> I have two FreeBSD box up and running which are connected to a Sun
> SparcStation by NFS.
>
> I am now trying to install FreeBSD(951104-SNAP) on another PC via NFS
> but this time the installation fails with the following NFS error:
>
>   mount_nfs: can't access /usr/local/pub/FreeBSD/2.1.0-951104-SNAP:
>   Permission denied.
>
> On the NFS server side (SunOS-4.1.4),
>
>   /usr/local/pub -access=FOO1:FOO2:FOO3
> Or am I forgetting something important?

Possibly.  I can't speak for SunOS 4.1.4, but in the NFS implementations
I am familiar with the above export only exports

/usr/local/pub

If a client tries to mount /usr/local/pub/FreeBSD or
/usr/local/pub/FreeBSD/2.1.0-951104-SNAP they would get permission
denied error.  You could either export all the directories individually
or use the export option -alldirs or -subdirs if your NFS implementation
supports it.

I.E.

/usr/local/pub -alldirs -access=FOO1:FOO2:FOO3

Another potential problem is that the installer might be trying to mount the
filesystem as root, or you might have the permissions on the directory
too secure.

for my OS I would add -maproot=root

/usr/local/pub -alldirs -maproot=root -access=FOO1:FOO2:FOO3

--
Brian Litzinger       |                                                        |
brian@mediacity.com   |           This space intentionally left blank          |