Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 1997 22:39:38 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Thomas S. Traylor" <ttraylor@titan.cs.mci.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Printer sharing

On Wed, 25 Jun 1997, Warner Losh wrote:

> OK.  I wanna share my two printers between my two systems.  Once is a
> nice laser printer and the other is a color inkjet printer.  Both are
> HP printers.  The *STUPID* hp driver *REQUIRES* that the printer be
> connected to the computer and seems to go to great lengths to detect
> and defeat printer share boxes.

I used Samba to share a DeskJet 660Cse between a Win95 Laptop and my
FreeBSD system.  The printer was attached to the FreeBSD box.  This
worked well and you got the added freature or sharing disks.  If
you're interested in the filters for lpr let me know.

I'm currently using the Axis Pocket Printserver (www.axis.com).  It is
the 530D.   It supports TCP/IP, LPD, NOVEL, LANMAN and MAC.  Not much
different than running Samba other than I don't have to have all  my
systems running to use the printer. It came with scripts to
configure it for Unix and windows.

--
Thomas Traylor
Thomas.Traylor@mci.com