Date:      Wed, 1 Dec 2010 15:59:30 -0500
From:      Jerry <freebsd.user@seibercom.net>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: USB Thumb Drive

On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 12:36:43 -0600
Ryan Coleman <ryan.coleman@cwis.biz> articulated:

> As the page says, it's READ ONLY in Linux... kinda pathetic. Thanks,
> Microsoft, for changing things AGAIN so you cannot be shared safely
> with others.

First of all, exFAT is a major improvement over FAT32 for Flash drives.
The fact that it is apparently only READ ONLY in a Linux environment
has nothing to do with Microsoft but rather with the FOSS community at
large. They could either purchase a license, which of course they
won't; or they could reverse engineer a driver for it.

There is also this link on the page:
http://www.tuxera.com/products/exfat-for-embedded-systems/

Perhaps that might be of assistance.

In any case, I find using removable drives far easier on a Microsoft
machine anyway