Date:      Thu, 2 Jul 1998 10:33:32 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Willem Jan  Withagen <wjw@surf.IAE.nl>
To:        drosih@rpi.edu
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Variant Link implementation, continued

In article <v04011718b1c04403264f@[128.113.24.47]> you write:
>My initial reaction is that I wouldn't want links to depend on values
>in environment variables.  If I setup some "clean environment" for a
>program I'm exec-ing, I'm not going to think to copy values which are
>important for these links to work.
>
>So there's two questions.  One is how to you make sure you're looking
>at the correct & current environment, and the other is how do you know
>that that environment (once you find it) includes all the symbolic-
>link-related variables (and values) which will be expected.

I think I'd agree with you on this. Even Apollo's had certain links which
were very critical.

For those who never saw Domain OS:
	Dependant on a env-variable (SYSTYPE) one would be able to
	switch, on the fly, between 3 OS interfaces.

	This would hold for:
		the application layer, ( aka shells and programs )
		include files

I used it a lot to switch between the differnt releases of software I was
maintaining. Working on an older version, just meant that I'd set the
env-variable MYVERSION to a previous release, then do a cd ~/src/project
and life was again simple.

Your argument would lead to introduce 2 types of resolution:
    -	important system-links, which are under control of 'root'.
	The are extracted first from the/a sysctl-namespace, and then
	(if not available there) from the users env.
    -	regular links, which follow the process Terry outlined in one of
	the other messages: user-env, process-grp-env, init-env

--WjW

--
Internet Access Eindhoven BV.,  voice: +31-40-2 393 393, data: +31-40-2 606 606
P.O. 928, 5600 AX Eindhoven, The Netherlands