Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 1996 10:43:51 PDT
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        nash@mcs.com
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, nate@mt.sri.com, roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
Subject:   Re: Firewalling DNS TCP (was Re: IPFW bugs?)

In message <199606291507.KAA06356@zen.nash.org>you write:
>ftp://ftp.cert.org/pub/tech_tips/packet_filtering has the following
>to say about DNS TCP transfers:
>
>   Because of flaws in the protocol or chronic system administration
>   problems, we recommend that the following services be filtered:
>
>           DNS zone transfers - socket 53 (TCP)

If you can be sure that your DNS server will never return an answer that's too
big to fit in a UDP packet, then go ahead and filter port 53.  If you have
lots of name servers, lots of MX'ers, or lots of A records for any given name,
then you will lose big if you filter TCP port 53.

This recommendation is a "chronic sysadmin problem", not a protocol problem --
just add an xfrnets directive to your named.boot and you will solve the
security problem without breaking the protocol.

  Bill