Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 2009 15:32:44 +0300
From:      Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        martinko <gamato@users.sf.net>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: snd_hda: ALC888/1200 and mixer empty

martinko wrote:
> I've got issues with snd_hda(4) driver.  According to Windows driver
> I've got Realtek ALC1200 but FreeBSD says it's ALC888.  mixer(8) doesn't

There is no ALC1200 chip on Realtek web site. But actually exact chip
name is not very important for this driver.

> show any devices and applications complain about it.  However, if I just
> cat sth.wav > /dev/dsp I can hear a sound/noise.  The listing follows..
>  Please note that I changed default output to digital optical (Toslink).
>
> Installed devices:
> pcm0: <HDA ATI RS690/780 HDMI PCM #0 Digital> at cad 0 nid 1 on hdac0
> pcm1: <HDA Realtek ALC888 PCM #0 Analog> at cad 0 nid 1 on hdac1 kld
> pcm2: <HDA Realtek ALC888 PCM #1 Analog> at cad 0 nid 1 on hdac1 kld
> pcm3: <HDA Realtek ALC888 PCM #2 Digital> at cad 0 nid 1 on hdac1 kld
> pcm4: <HDA Realtek ALC888 PCM #3 Digital> at cad 0 nid 1 on hdac1 kld

Your pcm0 and so default mixer is HDMI port of video card. There is just
no volume control on that port. There is separate mixers for each pcm
device. Other Digital ports may also don't have mixers.

Booting with verbose messages enabled will give you all possible
information about your audio hardware.

--
Alexander Motin