Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 1999 22:34:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      Chris Piazza <cpiazza@home.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   harddrive woes (!)

-This seems to be a bug directly related to FreeBSD *only*-

A while back (ack, sorry, lost all the debug output, error messages
everything...:( ) I had a crash in FreeBSD that seems to have rendered the
latter part of my harddrive unusable, but *only* in FreeBSD.

FreeBSD refuses to newfs this portion of the drive.  Both Linux and Windows95
have absolutely not problems using it, and indeed find no errors using scandisk
etc.  The kicker is that I can mount these dos (fat32) or ext2fs drives in
FreeBSD fine, yet if I try to write to them I get an endless scroll of messages
such as the following:

wd1s2c: hard error writing fsbn 4917756 of 4917756-4917763 (status
51<rdy,seekdone,err> error 10<no_id>)

It seems to me like FreeBSD spammed my harddrive with something, but what I
don't understand is why other OS' do not even think twice about it.  Is there
any way to wipe this part of the drive "totally" clean?

Suggestions appreciated,

---
Chris Piazza   Abbotsford, BC, Canada
cpiazza@home.net