Date:      Sun, 15 Oct 1995 13:47:59 EST
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
To:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Cc:        ache@astral.msk.su
Subject:   Re: A couple problems in FreeBSD 2.1.0-950922-SNAP

Andrey Chernov said:

>>just fixing ls isn't enough. The default table of character types in
>>libc/locale/table.c isn't populated well enought to handle the whole
>>ISO8859-1 character set. The following patch fixes ls, libc, and also

>Default code table is ASCII and _not_ ISO8859-1, so it not needed to be
>populated. Default code table is strict 7bit.

No, it doesn't need to be, but is there a reason it can't do the right
thing anyway? The table is defined as having 256 elements, so populating
it with something useful isn't going to hurt anything.

>>fixes some bugs in mklocale's lt_LN LC_CTYPE template.

>BLANK fixes are incorrect, see isblank(3).

Then the man page is wrong. The interpretation of blank on e.g. SVR4
is that *only* '0x20' is a "blank". On at least one SVR4 system I have
here this is documented as specified by ISO8859-1.

Compatibility is a good thing. I think you should be compatible.

>XDIGIT fixes are right but ASCII locale used
>for digits and xdigits in any cases.

I'm not sure what this means.

>Other fixes which includes some additional big/lower letters probably
>can go, I need to check 8859-1 description first.

You can check if you want. :-)

>BTW, xterm is known to dump core when any of 8bit locales set,
>f.e. ISO8859-1 or KOI8-R. color_xterm or mxterm works right.
>Can you track this bug, please?

What bug would this be? I'm not having any trouble at all running xterm
in ISO8859-1 locales on FreeBSD 2.1.0-950922-SNAP (and I wouldn't have
the first idea what to do in the KOI8-R locale :-)). You aren't by any
chance using XFree86's xterm are you? If so report the problem to them.

--

Kaleb KEITHLEY
X Consortium