Date:      Thu, 9 Oct 1997 06:45:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        fenner@parc.xerox.com, jonny@coppe.ufrj.br
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TCP problem

> Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@coppe.ufrj.br> wrote:
> >  I have an intermitent TCP problem between a FreeBSD 2.2-STABLE and a
> >2.0.27 Linux.  It's happening right now, let me show an example:
> >22:49:35.576825 146.164.5.200.2038 > 146.164.53.91.19: . ack 1 win 164 (DF) [t
> >  os 0x10] (ttl 64, id 38632)
>
> This packet ("win 164") is the exact symptom of the problem that was fixed
> in rev 1.27 / 1.21.2.3 of tcp_output.c .  Funny that everyone's coming
> across this one all at once.
>
>   Bill

 Ah... then you've not enjoyed my "lecture" on my theory of "bug time."

 The basic premise is based on empirical experience; not on any theoretic
foundation... but, it seems that, sometimes major, bugs will lie in the
code; domant - for many years.  Then, suddenly, a confluence of events
all around the world will cause the bugs to manifest themselves.  [I call
such bugs "locusts".]

 Usually, an addenda to the theory indicates that there is no way the
software could have been resounably exercised (by a user or testing group)
without finding this bug; which means:

	1) There exists some force which can go back in time and
	   inject bugs that weren't previously there...  So, for
	   some window of time after that point - the software works
	   then stops working.

	2) The software hasn't been exercised (tested) as much as
	   one would expect (hope.)

	:-) :-)

	- Dave Rivers -