Date:      Wed, 9 Sep 1998 09:06:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Robert Swindells <swindellsr@genrad.co.uk>
To:        gback@cs.utah.edu
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Daemonising a Java Process: Possible?

>> >If so, why a binary-only release?  Is that your decision or would that
>> >result from the licensing restrictions Sun puts on your port?
>>
>> It just seemed safer not to be forced to release the source. It avoids
>> giving Transvirtual any legal problems if Sun felt that the port gave
>> away information about the internals of the JVM.
>>
>> I was considering it to be "our" port anyway. The source could get
>> added to the JDK CVS repository.

>> I was always intending to offer the source back to Transvirtual.
>>

>On one hand, you're saying you want to avoid legal trouble because
>the port might give away information about Sun's JVM internals.
>On the other hand, you're intending to offer the source back to
>Transvirtual.

>How would Transvirtual's legal problems be reduced if only they
>had access to sources that in your opinion might give away information
>about Sun's JVM?

Because it can be on *their* terms. They can make a judgement on
whether or not they want to taint their sources without worrying
whether any of their other contributors could have seen my code.

Don't get me wrong, I respect what they are doing, I just think they
need to be more careful about not infringing Sun's licences. I don't
want to be the one that causes them to get sued.

Robert Swindells