Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 1996 14:48:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Dennis <jimd@mistery.mcafee.com>
To:        sebi@sorostm.ro (Sebastian DEAC)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, norbi@ltmpt.sorostm.ro
Subject:   Re: Unix for 286

> Hello!
> My name is Norbert Hanigovszki, I am a student at the Politechnical
> University of Timisoara, Romania.
> I have an AT-286 computer running DOS and I'd like tu run a UNIX OS on
> it. I intended to install FreeBSD but it doesn't work with my CPU. Do
> you know if somwhere exists a UNIX wich runs on a 286 machine?

	Xenix, Coherent, Minix.

	So far as I know none of these support TCP/IP.  Mark Williams
	corporation (publishers of Coherent) is defunct (last I heard).
	I don't know if Xenix is still available (but it was always pretty
	bad) so that leaves Minix.

	As far as I know Minix (by Andrew Tannenbaum (sp?)) is available
	as a commercial product from Prentice-Hall -- but is basically
	only sold with one of Tanenbaum's books on OS design.  I've read
	of versions of Minix that run on XT's and versions that are
	"enhanced" to run on the 286.  There used to be a newsgroup
	(alt.os.minix?) -- you might want to grab the FAQ from
	rtfm.mit.edu (or any nearby mirror) or write me a message (off
	list) and I'll forward a copy to you.

Jim Dennis,
System Administrator,
McAfee Associates