Date:      Thu, 06 Feb 1997 10:55:14 +0200
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Dave Schneider <buster@cats.ucsc.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org, Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Subject:   Re: A simple question

Dave Schneider wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jan 1997, Nadav Eiron wrote:
> > Doug White wrote:
> > >
> > > On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, Dave Schneider wrote:

   [snip]

>         Well, it's better not but still not working. I ran the
> bootinst.exe program and got the boot manager working. I then got it to
> boot using the 1:wd(1,a)/kernel command. I rebuilt the kernel changing
> the config line. All seemed right in the world. When I rebooted it gave
> me and error and rebooted again after the following lines:
>
> changing root device to wd1a
> panic: can't mount root
>
> I know I changed the config line to the one Nadav sugested. Any help?
> thanks

Change the name of your disk to wd1. To do that:
Comment out the old line for wd1 in your kernel config file.
Change the line that defines wd2 to wd1 (change just the name of the
device,don't change anything else).
Change all references in /etc/fstab to wd1 instead of wd2.

This will have the effect of your second disk being called wd1 instead
of wd2. Hope this will work...

> > > Doug White                              | University of Oregon
> > > Internet:  dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu    | Residence Networking Assistant
> > > http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~dwhite    | Computer Science Major
> > Nadav

Nadav