Date:      Sun, 14 May 2000 11:22:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
To:        jon@welearn.com.au
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: curious about memory report usingfreebsd v3.3-release

I had quite a few problems with that SMC "tx" network card under 3.2
and 3.3.  We eventually ditched them.   We found that we had to
ifconfig down then ifconfig up them every so often, or their
performance would decrease rapidly.  This may be fixed in 3.4-STABLE,
but I have not checked.

Really, I'm only trusting rl and fxp drivers right now.  It's not
scientific, but I have experiences that the de, dc, tx, ep and xl
drivers can be broken under at least my circumstances.  The dc and de
drivers are particularly strange.

I used to use a lot of de cards back when kinston made them with the
21141.  Then a number of cards were made with the 21142 --- these
tended not to work with de.  Then we started using the DLink 4 port
cards with the 21143's on them --- they appear to work well with the
occaisional strangeness.

However, recent 21143 cards from acer work "almost" ... but we have
NFS performance problems with machines we've built with them.

Dave.