Date:      02 Jul 1998 10:46:00 +0200
From:      smoergrd@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com (Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav)
To:        Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
Subject:   Re: Console driver (was: Problems with irq 9(2)?)

Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it> writes:
> Isn't there a way to check in which vertical line the graphical
> processor is working and then do a tsleep until it arrives at line
> number max-2 and _then_ start to do this idle loop?

No. The vertical retrace period is the time during which the electron
beam is being repositioned from the bottom right to the top left of
the screen. Synchronizing with the vertical retrace is not a trivial
task, as any demo coder will tell you.

However, no VGA board that I know of will exhibit snow while in text
mode, so waiting for vertical retrace is not necessary. It should not
be removed, though, as older CGA and MDA boards require it; but it
could be turned into a kernel option. If you feel very strongly about
this, cut'n'paste this article into send-pr and somebody will get
around to it.

> Or, much better, use an int routine called by the vertical retrace that
> is mentioned in the message below.

No. Modern graphics adapters do not have that functionality.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - smoergrd@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com