Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 1996 10:56:56 -0600 (CST)
From:      Geoff Mohler <gemohler@c-com.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   HP Vectra Booting

Im working with an HP Vectra VL, Series4 5/166.

It has 16Mb of ram, and a 1.2G hard drive.

It came with W95 and worked fine..of course.

I have tried to install FBSD about 5 times now..and although the install
goes great, the machine refuses to boot FBSD.

The machine responds "Read Error" when it jumps from the floppy to the HD
to boot.

I have set the CMOS to both standard and extended translation for each
installation and get the same results.

I also tried to reformat and install DOS6, and it seems to install
perfect, but even DOS gets the same results.."Read Error".

I can install BSD and boot a floppy, and do a boot: wd(0,a)kernel, and
that works perfectly as well.

All hardware and the HD itself check out perfectly in diagnostics.

Now..even though it will not boot DOS6 by itself, and will not boot FBSD
by itself, it WILL boot boot-manager...and let me go to either DOS6 or FBSD.

Any ideas why this will not boot FBSD by itself?  It seems to me that
since I formatted FBSD the first time..the machine it not prepared to
accept a foreign boot sector.

     "Quark & Odo in '96.  Law, order, and a tidy profit."

 Geoff Mohler
 Operations Engineer
 Charter Communications/Phoenix Data Net