Date:      Tue, 22 Feb 2000 07:31:13 -0500
From:      "Troy Settle" <troy@picus.com>
To:        "Francis A. Vidal" <francis@usls.edu>, "FreeBSD ISP" <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: checking for dormant accounts

Start parsing out /var/log/maillog to see when people last checked their
mail.  Assume all accounts are dormant, then make a timestamp from the
maillog, and mark those users who have checked their mail.  After a few
weeks of doing this, you should have a fairly good idea of who's dormant or
not.  As an ongoing process, it shoudln't be hard to pick out those who have
never checked their mail, or haven't checked in the last XX weeks.

Keep in mind though, that not all users use their ISPs mail services.
You'll need to parse your radius detail files in the same way.

But, for the most part, this shouldn't be a problem.  If users are paying
their $20, who cares if they're using your resources or not.  Oh... wait...
you're in academia, not in the real world... :)

-Troy