Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 2002 08:11:37 -0600
From:      "Laurence Brockman" <laurence@fluxinc.com>
To:        "Darren Pilgrim" <dmp@pantherdragon.org>, "Asep Ruspeni" <ruspeni@mti.itb.ac.id>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: hiding OS name

I think that what the original poster was trying to get at was when being
scanned by something like nmap using the OS detection (Or other tools), it
would show no OS.

This would mean changing the way the networking layer responds to certain
packets (ICMP, tcp sequencing, etc) and I'm not sure if there is anything
out there for FreeBSD (Never bothered to look).

I know there are kernel patches for linux that actually change the stack to
emulate other OS's, thus fooling these OS detection tools.

Laurence