Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 1995 00:38:12 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        Paul Traina <pst@shockwave.com>
Cc:        nate@sneezy.sri.com (Nate Williams), Steven Wallace <swallace@newport.ece.uci.edu>, CVS-commiters@freefall.cdrom.com, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/gnu/usr.bin/ld shlib.c

If it's truly a gcc "feature" to link in /usr/local/lib then I would
have to say, with 15 years experience in porting software across
extremely disparate UN*X platforms, that this is something that gcc
got entirely wrong.

The only thing /usr/local/lib is guaranteed to be is utterly
unreliable on any given machine (I have no control over it) and the
minute you start pointing off into the void in hopes that something
good will happen (and doing it behind the user's back, so it's not
even immediately obvious when things go badly wrong!), you're setting
yourself up for a fall.

gcc was broken, Nate has fixed it.  Whomever decided to point into
an essentially randomly populated directory by default in gcc should
be shot and skinned.  It was a stupid decision.  Period.

					Jordan