Date:      Tue, 09 Mar 1999 00:20:19 +0100
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@eboa.com>
To:        junkmale@xtra.co.nz
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSup: a newbie's tale.

Dan Langille wrote:

> > "I changed the base directory where the status files will be maintained.
> > Don't forget to create this directory.
> >
> >         *default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup"
> >
> > Q. Why would one want to change the base directory?
>
> So you can decide where you put the files and directories.  Here's that
> directory on my machine:

Obviously <g>. I can't for the life of me remember what I intended to
find out with that question, but still...

> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  1004  10 Feb  3 04:28 FreeBSD.cvs -> /home/ncvs
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  1004   2 Feb  3 04:28 distrib.self -> ..
>
> These are the symbolic links to where the data is actually stored.
>
> Hope that helps.

root:/usr/local/etc/cvsup# du
1       .

root:/usr/local/etc/cvsup# ls -la
total 2
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  512 Mar  8 03:52 .
drwxr-xr-x  9 root  wheel  512 Mar  8 03:18 ..
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   39 Mar  8 03:52 ports-supfile -> /usr/share/
examples/cvsup/ports-supfile
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   47 Mar  8 03:49 secure-stable-supfile ->
/usr/share/
examples/cvsup/secure-stable-supfile
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   40 Mar  8 03:28 stable-supfile ->
/usr/share/example
s/cvsup/stable-supfile

I ran cvsup and made world. Since there's hardly anything in it is it
because it gets used for temporary storage? Also I did not change
the base directory. So if any "data is actually stored" where did it
go? (apart from /usr/src of course).

Also, you did not change the base directory, you filled it with
symbolic links.

Hm. Or could it be that /usr/local/etc/cvsup is not its default
base directory? In which case, what is. Can't remember having seen
it anywhere.

Also "I changed the base directory where the status files will
be maintained." is ambiguous. Status files instead of control files
or configuration files could mean that it is the cvsup program
that does the maintaining. Personally I would prefer the sentence
to read "where the configuration files will be maintained". That
would more clearly indicate it is *you* that will be doing the
maintaining. As usual <g>.

I guess this is a case where I expected all kinds of interesting
magic to occur, whereas we in fact are talking not so much about
the base directory as something where all kinds of files and statusses
(states) get maintained but simply a place to store some cvsup.conf
and nothing more. Would make sense under an /etc. Thus not the base
of operations for cvsup, but merely the location of its configuration
files? Bit of an anti-climax then <g>.

Roelof

--
Home is where the (@) http://eboa.com/ is.