Date:      Thu, 27 May 1999 12:18:10 -0500
From:      "Mike Avery" <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
To:        justin <joystick81@hotmail.com>, joystick81@hotmail.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WHAT IS THIS

On 26 May 99, at 16:01, justin wrote:

> FreeBSD does not currently support IBM's microchannel (MCA) bus. I have an
> ibm 386dx computer ps/2 would my computer have that

I just HATE people who look down their noses at other people and
sneer at the computer they are using.  But... I'm gonna do it.  When I
get service calls on older IBM equipment, I shudder.  You have to
have the right setup disk for that model to do anything.  Even move a
card to another slot.  Finding the setup disk is usually hard - the user
lost it, and the IBM web site is a pain.  Then you have to add the
correct drivers for each card in the system.  It's two days lost
every time I see one of those.  And you can't REALLY bill for the
time you spent on it.

We haven't gotten into what happens if there's anything really
wrong with the equipment.  If there is, then you just entered
hardware hell.  It's all proprietary, it's all wierd, and it's all
expensive.  IBM changed the case and cabling on their 3.5" floppy
disk drives with almost every PS/2 model.  So, you probably can't
use a drive off another IBM computer, because it won't fit.  And
you can't use one from the corner store because IBM is sending
power through the data ribbon cable.  If you try it, you'll short out
the power supply, and if you're lucky you'll only lose a data cable.

They are reliable beasts, and they are likely to last many more
years.  But..... even with an efficient operating system, a 386 is slow
by today's standards.  And it's almost certainly not y2k compatible.

In your shoes, I'd crack the box open and see what I could reuse.
Certainly the keyboard and monitor.  Maybe the hard drive.  Use the
rest as a doorstop.

Then I'd go to the computer store and look at the cost of a case, a
clone motherboard and CPU, and go from there.  Or - I've seen new
366mhz emachines selling at BestBuy and Office Depot for $399
without a monitor.  With 32 megs of ram, a 2 gig hard drive, a sound
card, and sorts of software you don't really care about.  Look at
http://www.e4me.com for more details.  I haven't run FreeBSD or
Linux on 'em, but they are pretty plain jane machines, so it should
work.   I just don't see ANY reason to put up with an IBM 386dx
today....

Mike

Mike Avery                            MAvery@mail.otherwhen.com
                                          (409)-842-2942 (work)
                                                  ICQ: 16241692

* Spam is for lusers who can't get business any other way *

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day:
ACRONYM = Abbreviated Coded Rendition Of Name Yielding Meaning.