Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 2000 17:21:09 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        Matt Heckaman <matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET>
Cc:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>, Jonathan Michaels <jon@welearn.com.au>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bad144 missing?

Matt Heckaman wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Apr 2000, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:
> [...]
> : Since the 'wd' driver has been removed from CURRENT I suspect you, or
> : someone who cares will have to take responsibility for ESDI/MFM/RLL disks
> : and maintain the driver and re-implement the BAD144 support in a less
> : clunky manner.  PHK's stackable BIO layer would seem (to me) to make this
> : a little easier.
>
> *sigh* My perfectly modern WDC AC21600H drive with PIIX4 controller does
> not work under the ad driver, which leaves me stuck with the old wd
> drivers, I really wish you guys would stop removing things until the new
> code totally worked =(

	Please get your facts straight before you panic. The wd driver has been
removed from 5.0-Current, as was advertised previously. It has not been,
and TMK will not be removed from 4.0-Stable.

	Anyone wishing for support for their hardware in the ad driver that
doesn't already have it should be working with Soren to make it happen.
Otherwise, whining about it next year (when 5.0 becomes -Stable, or
whenever) will be silently ignored.

Doug
--
Excess on occasion is exhilarating.  It prevents moderation from
acquiring the deadening effect of a habit.