Date:      Tue, 02 Jan 2001 21:33:56 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "Jason Halbert" <res02jw5@gte.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Security Problem

"Jason Halbert" writes:
> Is there a way to block an enitre host (e.g. *.gtei.net) or a block of
> ip's (e.g. 4.33.*) ?  Or is there a way to say that only a certain
> domain or block of ip's can access my system?

See ipfw(8). And the examples in /etc/rc.firewall. You can block an
address, or range of addresses. But you can't block by symbolic domain
name.

> Also, is there a way to block the use of "adduser" or "vipw" or even
> looking at /etc/master.passwd without being the specific user "root".
> Where as you must be root and not "su" or any other user to see and/or
> use those commands.
>
> I hope that makes sense.

Sort of. Read the man page for su, specifically the difference between
the -m and -l versions. FreeBSD defaults with a shell alias for su of
"su -m". If a user is able to su to root, then that user is able to do
a full login to root where both user-id and effective-user-id are root.

If you are having problems as you seem to be suggesting, then its likely
you have been root-kit'ed and nothing on your machine can be trusted.
Am saying its not just the su utility which is a problem. Its time for
a backup, wipe, and re-install from known clean media such as the WC
distribution CDROM. Then audit every thing which goes back on the system
from the backup tape. Don't restore anything root would use, use only
new clean copies.

Later you can compare the old and new files to determine the extent of
the problem.

Tripwire (/usr/ports/security/tripwire*) and mtree (/usr/sbin/mtree) are
helpful in such situations, but only if applied before the event, not
after.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net