Date:      Sun, 29 Aug 2004 14:08:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
To:        necro <necro@digital-security.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Documentation

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004, necro wrote:

> I was looking around for some type of resource that goes through /sys/kern
> and explains what each *.c file there is, lists functions in them, goes
> through the functions and explains what the function does / how it does it
> and may be lists where these functions are called and for what purpose.
>
> Is there such a beast? If not, would it help if I tried to write it?
> And how fast would it get obsolete? :)

I strongly suggest you run, not walk, to your favorite bookseller and buy
"The Design & Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System." It works at
a higher level than individual functions and lines of code, but gives
fantastic insight into, suprisingly, design and implementation concerns in
the current kernel.  Pretty much required bookshelf material for any
aspiring kernel hacker.

That being said -- if you can write such detailed documentation, then you
probably deserve a case of beer and a commit bit since you'll know more
about the system than most people :)

dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org