Date:      Sat, 27 Jul 1996 20:49:41 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        cat@uunet.ca, se@ZPR.Uni-Koeln.DE
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, dg@Root.COM, jkh@FreeBSD.org, scrappy@ki.net, stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ncr53c810 driver in stable/current

>The dump writes out the first few MB within less than a
>second, and then the SCSI LED stays on and the system
>hangs, always after accessing the same virtual address.

>It took me some time to think about checking which physical
>address that corresponds to that page, and to my surprise I
>found that the BIOS region at e8000 is the last thing touched
>by the NCR chip. I have no idea why the page at 0e8000 is
>mapped into the kernel, and I do not think that I got some
>device at that address. But it still causes the hang :(

0xe8000 is in the first MB so it's surprising that the first
few MB got written.

sddump() and wddump() write all pages from page #0 to page
#MaxMem-1, so they always write the entire BIOS area.  Perhaps
they should write only RAM.  phys_avail[] almost says where
RAM is.  Unfortunately, it is truncated at the start to skip
the BIOS page and at the end to skip the message buffer.

Bruce