Date:      Thu, 6 Sep 2001 13:46:34 +0800
From:      Igor Podlesny <poige@morning.ru>
To:        Gregory Neil Shapiro <gshapiro@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re[4]: auto relaying for subdomains -- why?

poige>> Yes,          I          saw          this          info         here:
poige>> http://www.sendmail.org/m4/features.html#relay_mail_from    but   most
poige>> valuable  part of my question was about the purpose or the idea behind
poige>> this,  cause it's not too clear to me why allowing relaying for domain
poige>> FOO.BAR  should  allow  relaying  for  SUB.FOO.BAR?

> Because some places have only one machine (firewall) that accepts mail from
> the outside world for all of the hosts inside the network.  For example, in
> my previous life as a sysadmin at WPI, only smtp.wpi.edu would accept
> incoming mail for all of the machines (> 3000) on campus.  I'd much rather
> say "wpi.edu" in one place instead of listing loads of subdomains
> (ee.wpi.edu, me.wpi.edu, res.wpi.edu, ...).

Not too close to question again... I understand this (this is the need
to  easily  cover  all the domain and as I wrote in the initial letter
"...I  can  accept this as reasonable behavior..." having in mind just
the same reason you're talking about).

But  that time I wasn't sure whether it is a SENDMAIL's feature (local
configuration  as  you  said after) or it's required/described in RFC.
This was the start :)

Now  it's  all  clear  :)  and  I  understand  that  it was just a way
SENDMAIL's  is  configured.  Another  question could be why not to use
syntax  .foo.bar  instead  of foo.bar but I'm quite ready to call it a
rhetorical one ;-)) (regexps are also there ;-)

poige>> I mentioned RFCs because I had a hope to find out the answer from it
poige>> but still haven't yet...

> RFC's cover protocols over the Internet, not local configuration or policy.
But who could say these early hours that such behavior isn't dependant
on protocol? :-))

P.S.  Thank  you  everybody,  your answers have thrown some additional
light upon the subject deepness! ;-)

P.P.S.  I'm  not  quite  sure  should I start new thread or can remain
within  it  with another question which is: What MTA software supports
highly  configurable  relaying...  One  of  the  needed  features is a
support  for using alternative mail routers (relays) in case when this
MTA  can't  send  a message by itself because of networks problem. For
example situation could be: MTA is on a network A which is temporarily
cut  off  from it's uplink so it can't transfer mail by itself, but it
has  a  connection (permanent or dial-up) to another mailer. Are there
such  MTAs  which can be said "if you can't send it by yourself (would
be   cool   if   additional   parameters   were  some_time_period  and
failure_reason) then use that MTA (ip-addr) or that (another-ip)?".

I  suspect in common case such "system" could easily lead to loops and
have  other  drawbacks  but  in such simple configuration it seems all
should work fine...

--
 Igor                            mailto:poige@morning.ru