Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2000 19:31:44 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        suvani_kaura@agilent.com
Cc:        Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about the Handbook

On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 07:19:40PM +0100, Andrew Boothman wrote:

> On 13-Sep-00 suvani_kaura@agilent.com wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have been trying to download a copy of the BSD handbook as a
> > PDF/Postscript file .. so I can view it as one document, rather than follow
> > links to view each page. However when I click on the FTP page, I only get a
> > blank document.. I am using IE4.. please advise.
>
> It's difficult to say why you may be having problems, try using a proper,
> dedicated FTP program like CuteFTP insead of your web browser. I have just
> checked, and had no problem in downloading and viewing
> ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/doc/handbook/book.pdf.gz which is a
> compressed version of the handbook in PDF format.

It is possibly because IE4 doesn't know what to do with a .gz file and
so tries to display it and, depending on the first few bytes of the
file, it may just display an blank page, e.g. if 0x1a (Ctrl-Z, the
DOS EOF) is there. If you have WinZip installed though it should have
set up a file type for .gz so IE4 will fire up WinZip.

--
		4.4 - The number of the Beastie