Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 1997 09:21:58 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com (Marty Leisner)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, johnp@lodgenet.com, se@freebsd.org, spaz@u.washington.edu, jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MSWord docs...

Marty Leisner stands accused of saying:
> > John Prince stands accused of saying:
> > > How does that help with word95 and the office 97 stuff..
> > > Most windows machines shipped today do not ship with word6.x.
> >
> > Word 7 is Word 6 with different icons, basically.  The file format
> > and structure are the same.
>
> Is there anything which explains the format for a word document?

Presumably, Microsoft have some internal documentation.  Presumably,
if you were willing to sign a billion-year contract with Bill, you too
could read this document.  I suspect that if you were to try to do
something useful with the contents of said document, you would probably
be reamed by Bill's lawyers.

> Can word6 be viewed on dos?  (is there a dos reader for word6 documents?)

Not directly, and no.  You can convert to a format for which there is a
viewer (eg. pdf), but you need word to do that in the first place.