Date:      Fri, 30 Oct 1998 02:20:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Christopher Nielsen <enkhyl@scient.com>
To:        Hallam Oaks <mlnn4@oaks.com.au>
Cc:        "hackers@FreeBSD.ORG" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Fibre channel

On Fri, 30 Oct 1998, Hallam Oaks wrote:

> I'm now going to demonstrate my total ignorance of fibre channel ;)
>
> Who here can tell me what we need to set up a working fibre channel hard
> drive system, apart from the controller and drive ? I'm not referring
> specifically to FC on FreeBSD per se, but the actual hardware.
>
> I know I'd (obviously) need some fibre optic cable, but I'm unsure if you
> also need an external optical transciever. That is, I'm unsure if these are
> built into the FC hardware, or if the FC devices connect to the transcievers
> via some sort of standard electrical - rather than optical - interface.
>
> If so, does anyone know how much these transcievers tend to cost (low power
> type) ? What else is needed to have a working system ? (apart from the driver
> software that is ... at the moment I'm only concerned about hardware.)

Check out the following URLs. One of them should have the info you're
looking for.

http://www.fibrechannel.com/
http://www.seagate.com:80/support/disc/papers/fibfs.shtml
http://www.seagate.com:80/support/disc/papers/fibp.shtml
http://www.seagate.com:80/support/disc/manuals/67496a.pdf

--
Christopher Nielsen
Scient: The Art and Science of Electronic Business