Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 2001 12:32:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dan Phoenix <dphoenix@bravenet.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   sendmail help

I am having problem with a sendmail smartrelay to my main qmail server.
What is suppose to happen..is when a web client dishes mail to
sendmail -t via php.....sendmail.cf is suppose to smart relay to
my main qmail server. Which in my mind means...there should never ever
be any email in /var/spool/mqueue on any webserver. This is not the
case....there are many messages in the mqueue dir on all the webservers.

Here is a sniffit of one of them

[root@mungo mqueue]# more qff0QHA9q38676
V4
T980529009
K980799886
N295
P26461165
I116/131076/158949
Mhost map: lookup (metroweb.co.za): deferred
Fwb
$_bravenet@localhost
${daemon_flags}
${if_addr}172.16.0.20
Sbravenet_return@bravenet.com
Abravenet_return@bravenet.com
RPFD:sanne@metroweb.co.za
H?P?Return-Path: <<81>g>
H??Received: (from bravenet@localhost)
        by mungo.sf.bravenet.com (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f0QHA9q38676;

snippit....

sometimes the hostnames are not valid...but there is still no reason why
there should ever be anything in the mqueue...it should dish off to the
main qmail server's queue and be done with it.......
sendmail is started with sendmail -bd -q15m on each of the webservers.

I was wondering if anyone could offer me some insight on getting rid of
the messages in mqueue?...it does seem that the qmail server can accept
all the connections. When i ran a manual sendmail -d 2 -v -q
to see what was going on before i would get things like nameserver
timeout....deferred etc. Makes no sense cause i go lookup that hostname
after and there are no problems with nameserver.....but regardless
there is still no reason why sendmail should not be dishing it off instead
of keeping it like this......any help would be beneficial at this
point.

Thx in advance.

--
Dan

|           BRAVENET WEB SERVICES                      |
|              dan@bravenet.com                        |
|             make installworld                        |
| ln -s /var/qmail/bin/sendmail /usr/sbin/sendmail     |
| ln -s /var/qmail/bin/newaliases /usr/sbin/newaliases |