Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 1996 09:14:51 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      sos@FreeBSD.org
To:        julian@freefall.freebsd.org (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: summary of changes my changes in current recently

> Just so that people have some sort of idea what The folks here at whistle
> (including me) have been doing. (In -current).
> Thes have been put back in FreeBSD so they are now generally available.
> 4/ added support for an  IP DIVERT capability in the ip-firewall
>    code. this allows arbitrary packets to be diverted to a user-land
>    daemon. such a daemin might  impliment ip-address  translation..
>    or packet encryption.
>    Daemons for both these have been written, but it is unlikely that I can
>    release them, however all the hard part has been added to freebsd,
>    so the remaining work for someone to write the daemons again  should be
>    within the scope of a standard C programmer, looking for a project.

I have iptranslation almost done, but as a kernel level module hooked
into the fw code. It's currently being testet at one of our local ISP's,
infact they are the ones that kind of asked for it. The framework
could be used to build an userlever daemon as well, so when its
ready I'll commit it for reference :)
(there are NO strings attached to that code)..

Soren Schmidt             (sos@FreeBSD.org)             FreeBSD Core Team
               So much code to hack -- so little time.