Date:      Sun, 16 Aug 2009 19:58:29 -0700
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        Kamigishi Rei <spambox@haruhiism.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: rc(8) regression. What's the story?

--AqCDj3hiknadvR6t

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 06:40:28AM +0400, Kamigishi Rei wrote:
> This happens for me with some interfaces (namely, bge and em) as well;=20
> media state is detected with a slight delay and therefore by the time=20
> ntpdate is started we don't have an IP address yet.

Perhaps it might be appropriate to ensure that we have an IP address
before starting ntpd, then?  As far as the actual check, examining the
output of "netstat -nif inet" or "netstat -nif inet6" is generally what
I'd normally do.  Possibilities that come to mind:

* Modify rc.d/netif to ensure that an IP address is assigned before it
  exits (assuming(!) that at least one interface has come up.

* Modify rc.d/ntpd to ensure that an IP address is assigned before it
  tries to start ntpd(8).

* Create a new rc.d script that sleeps until an IP address is assigned.

I think the latter would be most flexible, as the appropriate keywords
could be specified for precisely those rc.d/* scripts that actually need
an IP address in order to function, though implementing it might
engender rather more churn in /etc/rc.d/* than folks might prefer.

Peace,
david
--=20
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.

--AqCDj3hiknadvR6t

--AqCDj3hiknadvR6t--