Date:      Mon, 31 Mar 1997 21:20:30 -0800
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@sns.com>
To:        prosser@ewa.net, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Filesystem errors w/ FreeBSD 2.2

At 08:30 PM 3/31/97 -0800, prosser@ewa.net wrote:
>Thank you in advance for any help you may have to offer.  I recently
installed
>FreeBSD 2.2 on a Cyrix 6x86 166+ w/ 24MB RAM and a 2GB IDE drive, and
>I have been receiving an error that prevents me from adding anything
>or even changing anything on the computer.  It reads something like:
>
>Mar 31 20:29:08 news-beta /kernel: pid 21577 (patch), uid 0 on /: file system
>full
>
>What could this mean?  How can I solve this?
>
>Frustratedly yours,
>
>Peter Rosser
>prosser@ewa.net

Your "/" slice is full. You can check free space with "df". You should
clear stuff out of the / slice and free up some space. When you have to
hold something in a temporary spot, store it in the user's home directory
or even just /home, but not the / directory.

--Ludwig Pummer
ludwigp@sns.com                        http://chipweb.home.ml.org
             http://www.sns.com/~ludwigp  <--^-- Updated 11/22/96
PGP Key & Geek Code available on web page