Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 1996 10:03:22 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      sos@FreeBSD.ORG
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Syscons CUT&PASTE functionality added...y

> As sos@FreeBSD.org wrote:
>
> > I looks to me like the number one reason folks run pcvt is that it
> > does a pretty good job at vt220 emulation. I have a version of syscons
> > that loads its term interpreter as a LKM and so it can be changed to
> > some other emulation. If would could get a volounter to take pcvt's
> > vt220 emu and massage it a bit, I'll help with the syscons interface
> > and what extra hooks might be nessesary.
>
> Don't underestimate it.  Downloadable charactersets, a permanent
> character mapping feature (to support a multitude of charsets
> simultaneously where many chars are actually in a joint subset), and
> the reduction to only 8 colors (in favor of 512 different characters
> total) are about the price.

Hmm, downloadable charsets is also in syscons, permanent mapping also
(allthough system wide not per console, easily changed though)
512 chars, no not yet :)

>                               (There are more nifty but not DEC-VT
> related features like the ability to control the VGA RAMDAC, which are
> IMHO incompatible with syscons' goals.)

Yep, because now we are talking features that doesn't work on all
hardware and that is The Wrong Thing because:

1. There is no end to the supportproblem on this, and the percentage
   of supported hardware is falling by the minute.

2. The kernel size will explode if just a tiny fraction of the possible
   video hardware is to be supported.

> I don't think it's really worth the while.

So, that means we are stuck with the unlucky situation we have now,
for time and ever :(

> Sharing a common layer of keyboard (and mouse) drivers seems to be not
> all that difficult however (don't forget the psm driver...)

I havn't forgot, but I'm still not convinced that it is a good idea,
I'd rather have a modular console driver, that I could modify the
behavior of by loading different modules.

*sigh*

Soren Schmidt             (sos@FreeBSD.org)             FreeBSD Core Team
               So much code to hack -- so little time.