Date:      Mon, 08 Mar 1999 23:20:29 GMT
From:      dan@jacko.demon.co.uk (Dan Jackson)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   AWE64 ISA PnP and FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE

Hi, I recently got FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE on my other machine, install was =
great..
until I came to deal with the sound card. I went through Conrad =
Sabatier's
excellent guide (http://www.neosoft.com/~conrads/awepnp-freebsd.html) =
doing all
the stuff it said, however when I rebooted I got "can't load file before
kernel" (relating to the loading of the userconfig_script). I tried all =
sorts
of things (putting it in different files, putting the PnP stuff in =
different
files, etc.) but to no avail. Finally, in desparation, I tried something =
that I
didn't really expect to work. I put "load /kernel" as the first line of =
the
/boot/boot.conf...
and guess what, it works :)

just thought i'd post this info here on -questions for anyone else who =
might be
having this problem.

--
Dan Jackson